Sleep deprivation is a very common problem that struggles people all around the world – even the most rested people have problems sleeping at night, maybe because they haven’t done anything for the whole day!
Talking about the USA, it is estimated that above 70 million people suffer from insomnia and sleep deprivation. Psychologist say that it is due to an imbalanced daily regimen, emotional crisis and mental difficulties handling them as well as too much information our brain is getting on a daily bases, from ads on every corner, to insignificant scrolling on social networks and Internet.
However, there’s a technique designed for the people who have the most problems falling asleep – the US navy. Can you imagine falling asleep after a grenade exploded in front of you, killing a bunch of people you knew?
This amazing method is described in a book called “Relax and Win: Championship Performance”, written and published back in the 1981. The method you’re about to read about is going to help you fall asleep in no time – it takes about 2 minutes and 4 easy steps and the US navy surveys show that it is 96% successful.
Here are the 4 mental and physical steps:
- Try to relax your body and especially your facial muscles – tongue, mouth, jaw and the muscles around your eyes.
- Drop down your shoulders as low as you can, relaxing your arms after that.
- Take a deep breath out, relaxing your chest as much as you can. Then, focus on relaxing your legs, from the thighs to the thumbs of your feet.
- The fourth step is the mental relaxation
- Lying in a canoe on a calm lake with a clear sky above you and green trees all around
- Snuggled up in a hammock in the middle of the greenest forest, where birds are singing
- Repeating yourself “don’t think” while you imagine the flow the canoe or the hammock is doing to your body
These are the steps to “fool” your central nervous system that it is relaxed. Creating a perfect physical reality and a mind blockage for the daily problems, putting yourself in the “cage of perfect relaxing environment” is something you must do and shouldn’t be feeling guilty about it, even if you’re suffering real problems in the period.
The problems can be figured out and resolved only from a different perspective than the one your tired and problem-obsessed mind is trying to figure out at the moment.Sources: www.unilad.co.uk/ https://www.countryliving.com/ https://www.fastcompany.com/